Published: 15:04, January 7, 2021 | Updated: 05:55, June 5, 2023
China telcos: S&P Dow Jones moves in tandem with NYSE
By ​Reuters

S&P Dow Jones Indices said on Wednesday it will remove the American Depositary Receipts of three Chinese telecom companies, China Mobile Ltd, China Telecom Corporation Ltd and China Unicom (Hong Kong) Ltd, from its benchmarks.

The NYSE said it will delist the three Chinese companies effective Jan 11, confirming its latest reversal on the matter following an earlier decision to reverse the delistings

"S&P DJI's announcement to move forward with removing the above-referenced ADRs from its indices is due to the New York Stock Exchange's (NYSE's) latest confirmation that the ADRs will be delisted," it said in an emailed statement.

ALSO READ: S&P Dow Jones to no longer remove China telecom ADRs

The NYSE said on Wednesday it will delist the three Chinese companies effective Jan 11, confirming its latest reversal on the matter a day after US Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin told the NYSE chief he disagreed with an earlier decision to reverse the delistings.

The flip-flopping highlights the confusion over which firms were included in an executive order issued by President Donald Trump in November barring US persons from investing in publicly traded companies Washington deems to be tied to the Chinese military.

READ MORE: NYSE move sends traders scrambling

Investors had sold positions in the securities after the NYSE first announced plans last week to delist China Mobile, China Telecom and China Unicom. But the shares rose after NYSE said it would not do so and tumbled again after the latest about-face.

Less than 24 hours before its latest announcement, S&P Dow Jones Indices too had said it would not remove the ADRs of the firms, in line with NYSE’s decision at the time.