YANGON - The death toll from Friday's 7.9-magnitude earthquake in Myanmar has risen to 2,886, with 4,639 injured and 373 still missing, according to the State Administration Council (SAC) information team on Wednesday.
Myanmar's government will allocate 500 billion kyats (about $238.09 million) for earthquake relief and rehabilitation efforts, SAC Chairman Min Aung Hlaing has said.
The Myanmar leader made the statement at a cash donation ceremony in Nay Pyi Taw on Tuesday, where well-wishers donated 104.44 billion kyats ($49.71 million) in cash and non-cash items worth 12.4 billion kyats ($5.9 million), state-owned daily The Global New Light of Myanmar reported.
The contributions were received by the chairman of the national disaster management committee, the SAC vice chairman, council members, and other relevant officials, it added.
ALSO READ: More Chinese rescue volunteers rush to Myanmar in quake response
Following a 7.9-magnitude earthquake that struck Myanmar Friday, Min Aung Hlaing called for international assistance. In response, rescue teams, medics and nurses from 16 countries and regions have arrived in Myanmar with humanitarian aid and medical supplies as of March 31, it said.
Myo Nyunt, president of the Myanmar Red Cross Society, told Xinhua earlier that key challenges in the current rescue operations included disaster assessment and logistics coordination.
Due to safety concerns in the affected areas, rescue teams have faced significant difficulties in distributing supplies, with a particular shortage of heavy machinery, Myo Nyunt said.
A 26-year-old hotel staff member was rescued from the rubble of a collapsed hotel building in Myanmar's Nay Pyi Taw on Wednesday, five days after the earthquake struck the country, according to the information team.
Two people were trapped under the debris, and rescue teams from the Myanmar Fire Services Department and Turkey successfully pulled one survivor to safety, the information team said.
READ MORE: Myanmar earthquake tells partners apart
The operation at the hotel began at around 3:00 pm local time on Tuesday, and the man was rescued by approximately 00:30 am local time on Wednesday, it said.
Efforts are ongoing to locate and rescue the remaining trapped individuals, it added.
Among the 18 powerful earthquakes that have struck Myanmar, the 7.9-magnitude quake was the second strongest, following an 8.0-magnitude earthquake that hit the country in 1912, according to the local daily Myanma Alinn.