Published: 11:46, April 3, 2025
HKSAR gifts over 20 tons of relief supplies to Myanmar
By Li Lei in Hong Kong
This photo released on Hong Kong Chief Executive John Lee Ka-chiu's Facebook page shows Lee (right) meeting with Consul-General of Myanmar in Hong Kong, Han Win Naing, on April 3, 2025, in Hong Kong. 

Hong Kong Chief Executive John Lee Ka-chiu met with Myanmar Consul General Han Win Naing on Thursday morning to express condolences and announce a major aid package for the earthquake-stricken nation.

Lee presented a letter of sympathy and informed the consul general that the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region government had sent over 20 metric tons of relief supplies, including food and medical items, to assist in disaster relief efforts, according to a social media post by the chief executive.

ALSO READ: Rescuers from Chinese mainland, HKSAR join hands in quake-rattled Myanmar

Earlier on Thursday, the donation was officially handed over at a ceremony presided over by Chief Secretary for Administration Eric Chan Kwok-ki.

Lee said the consul general expressed gratitude on behalf of the Myanmar community in Hong Kong, presenting a thank-you letter in recognition of the HKSAR’s swift response.

The chief executive also shared an encouraging update on rescue efforts, revealing that a joint operation between the HKSAR rescue team and China’s national rescue squad had successfully saved a survivor on Wednesday.

READ MORE: HKSAR rescuers conduct relief operations in quake-hit Myanmar

“This is truly heartening and inspiring. They will continue to race against time and spare no effort in search and rescue operations within the disaster zone,” Lee said.

The aid follows the HKSAR government’s deployment of a rescue team on Saturday.

lilei@chinadailyhk.com