SINGAPORE - Singapore was disappointed to be slapped with US tariffs of 10 percent despite the wealthy Asian financial hub having a free-trade agreement and running a bilateral trade deficit with the United States, Singapore's trade minister said on Thursday.
Singapore could take countermeasures under the free-trade agreement in force since 2004, but has chosen not to do so, trade minister Gan Kim Yong told a press conference.
ALSO READ: Lee: Singapore committed to openness amid global trade shifts
"Retaliatory import duties will just add cost to our imports," he said, noting that the government would be reviewing its economic forecasts because of the worsening situation.
Gan said Singapore will try to engage the US to understand President Donald Trump's areas of concern and see if they can be resolved.
"If there are no specific concerns, then it's more difficult to argue or to negotiate," he said.
READ MORE: Singapore warns of tariff cascade as worried Asia eyes Trump
Singapore was hit by Trump's 10 percent base tariff on imports, albeit much lower than neighbors in Southeast Asia where six countries were given tariffs of between 32 percent and 49 percent.
The US had a goods trade surplus of $2.8 billion with Singapore last year, an 84.8 percent increase over 2023, according to the United States Trade Representative website.