The event information systems for the 2025 Asian Winter Games in Harbin were subjected to 270,167 cyberattacks from abroad between Jan 26 and Feb 14, with most originating from the United States, according to a report released on Thursday.
China's National Computer Virus Emergency Response Center said in the report that cybersecurity monitoring and analysis covered the Games' information systems and key infrastructure in Heilongjiang province during the event.
The 9th Asian Winter Games took place from Feb 7 to Feb 14 in Harbin, capital of Heilongjiang. While the event drew widespread attention both domestically and internationally, it also became a target for cyberattacks, the report said.
ALSO READ: China condemns US-linked cyberattacks during Harbin Games
The number of attacks fluctuated, with a notable increase from Feb 7 to Feb 13, peaking on Feb 8, according to the report.
The US accounted for the largest share, with 170,864 attacks, or 63.24 percent of the total. Following the US, Singapore accounted for 40,449 attacks, or 14.97 percent, followed by the Netherlands (12,414 attacks, or 4.95 percent), Germany (6,682 attacks, or 2.47 percent) and South Korea (1,281 attacks, or 0.47 percent).
The attacks targeted multiple event information systems, with the most frequent attempts directed at the event information release system, the entry and exit management system, and the card payment system, the report said.
READ MORE: Report unveils US agencies' cyberattacks on mobile devices
Authorities blocked 12,602 high-risk malicious IP addresses during the Games. The addresses were involved in scanning the systems for vulnerabilities and attempting to steal data or damage the systems. Most of these attacks originated from foreign DigitalOcean cloud service hosts, the report said.
The report also identified cyberattacks targeting key information infrastructure in Heilongjiang. From Jan 31 to Feb 14, the Netherlands accounted for the largest number of attacks, with 37.98 million, followed by the US with 11.79 million and Thailand with 720,000. Australia, the United Kingdom, Germany, Lithuania, Canada, Japan and Singapore ranked fourth through 10th.
The report condemned cyberattacks targeting major international events and said details had been submitted to public security authorities.
ALSO READ: China urges US to end Cold War mentality in relations
Foreign Ministry spokesman Guo Jiakun responded on Thursday that the report once again indicates that China is one of the main victims of cyberattacks globally.
"We urge the US to adopt a responsible approach, engage in more self-reflection and refrain from making baseless accusations against others," Guo said. "China will continue to take necessary measures to safeguard its cybersecurity."
Contact the writer at lishangyi@chinadaily.com.cn