Published: 09:48, December 24, 2022 | Updated: 10:17, December 24, 2022
CAF boss: African team can reach 2026 World Cup final
By AFP

France's Antoine Griezmann (left) and Morocco's Sofyan Amrabat challenge for the ball during the World Cup semifinal soccer match between France and Morocco at the Al Bayt Stadium in Al Khor, Qatar on Dec 14, 2022. (MARTIN MEISSNER / AP)

JOHANNESBURG — African soccer boss Patrice Motsepe told a press conference in Johannesburg earlier this week he believes a team from the continent can reach the 2026 World Cup final.

"Morocco opened the door by reaching the semifinals this month and I am confident an African nation will go further at the next World Cup," said the South African billionaire.

Morocco made history in Qatar by becoming the first African representatives to reach the semifinals. The Atlas Lions stunned Belgium in the group stage, then eliminated two more powerful European sides, Spain and Portugal, in the knockout stage before losing to France in the semifinals

"The main objective of CAF (Confederation of African Football) is for an African nation to win the World Cup and that goal is within reach."

There will be nine or 10 African qualifiers for an expanded 48-team 2026 World Cup in the United Stages, Canada and Mexico — up from five in Qatar.

ALSO READ: New FIFA world rankings see Morocco climb to 11th spot

Morocco made history in Qatar by becoming the first African representatives to reach the semifinals.

The Atlas Lions stunned Belgium in the group stage, then eliminated two more powerful European sides, Spain and Portugal, in the knockout stage before losing to France in the semifinals.

"There are at least 10 African nations that can compete at the highest level and win the World Cup," added Motsepe.

He also hailed Cameroon and Tunisia for shock group victories over five-time World Cup winner Brazil and twice champion France respectively.

"We should be proud of what Cameroon and Tunisia achieved. These and other African countries must learn from Morocco," said the CAF president.

READ MORE: Cameroon strike late to stun Brazil's second-string team 1-0

The shock victories were not enough to get Cameroon and Tunisia past the first round.

Senegal made the last 16 before being eliminated after a heavy loss to England.

Reigning African champion Senegal suffered a massive pre-tournament blow when star forward Sadio Mane was ruled out by injury.

Motsepe disclosed that a dispute between CAF and sports agency Lagardere had been "resolved amicably", but refused to give details, citing a confidentiality clause.

Lagardere signed $1 billion contract with the Cairo-based African football body in 2017, which was supposed to last until 2028.

However, just one year into the television and marketing deal, it was scrapped after two legal judgments said it breached competition rules.

A senior CAF official, who requested anonymity, told AFP his organization would pay Lagardere $25 million in installments to settle the dispute.

Motsepe said Algeria, Benin, Morocco, Nigeria and Zambia were among countries wanting to host the 2025 Africa Cup of Nations after Guinea withdrew recently, saying they were "not ready".