JERUSALEM/UNITED NATIONS/GENEVA - The Israeli military on Wednesday ordered civilians in multiple areas of the northern Gaza Strip to evacuate immediately, citing intercepted rocket fire from Palestinian territory.
Military spokesman Avichay Adraee urged residents to "move immediately west to the shelters in Gaza City", accusing "terrorist organizations" of launching attacks "from among civilians".
Earlier on Wednesday, Israel's military said its air defense systems intercepted two rockets fired from northern Gaza. Air raid sirens sounded in communities near the Palestinian enclave, police said.
Israel also tightened up its grip in the southern part of the enclave. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced a territorial expansion in southern Gaza, declaring troops were seizing land to establish a new security corridor.
READ MORE: Israel to expand Gaza military operation with large-scale evacuations
In a video statement, Netanyahu said forces had begun taking control of the area between Khan Younis and Rafah, calling it a "second Philadelphi Corridor" akin to the buffer zone Israel occupies along Gaza's border with Egypt. "We are slicing up the enclave," he said, vowing to continue "striking militants and destroying infrastructure".
Separately, the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) confirmed airstrikes in Syria targeting military bases in Homs and Hama, as well as infrastructure near Damascus. The IDF said the strikes hit "remaining military capabilities" at the T-4 (Tiyas) Air Base and Hama, along with sites in the Damascus area, calling the operation a response to "threats against Israeli civilians".
Syrian state news agency SANA reported strikes on an airport in Hama and areas near a scientific research center in Damascus' Barzeh neighborhood.
Israel resumed large-scale air and ground operations in Gaza on March 18 after weeks of halted food and fuel deliveries. Gaza's Hamas-run health ministry reported 1,066 Palestinians killed and 2,597 wounded since the renewed offensive, bringing the total death toll to 50,423, with 114,638 injured, since the war began in October 2023.
ALSO READ: Rafah residents forced to flee once more during Eid as Israeli military operations intensify
Meanwhile, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said he "is deeply alarmed" by the human toll of the intensified hostilities in Gaza and calls for the immediate restoration of the ceasefire, according to his spokesman.
"Guterres condemns the reported killing of over a thousand people, including women and children, since the collapse of the ceasefire," Stephane Dujarric, spokesman for the UN secretary-general, said at a daily briefing on Wednesday.
In particular, the UN chief was shocked by the Israeli army's attack on a medical and emergency convoy in Gaza on March 23, which left 15 medical personnel and humanitarian workers dead.
Guterres "honors all humanitarian workers who have been killed in this conflict, and demands a full, thorough and independent investigation," the spokesman said.
The secretary-general renewed his call for the immediate restoration of the ceasefire, the immediate and unconditional release of all hostages and unimpeded humanitarian access throughout Gaza.
ALSO READ: Netanyahu says Israel open to Gaza talks if Hamas disarms, relinquishes control
At least 408 aid workers have been killed in Gaza since October 2023, around 280 of them were UN staff, according to the United Nations.
Also on Wednesday, the 58th session of the UN Human Rights Council adopted a resolution demanding Israel to prevent genocide in the Gaza Strip.
Adopted with 27 votes in favor, 4 against, and 16 abstentions, the resolution deplores Israel for violating the ceasefire agreement and urges it to fully uphold its commitments.
The resolution further condemns Israel's use of starvation as a method of warfare in Gaza, its unlawful denial of humanitarian access, its willful obstruction of relief supplies, and its deprivation of essential resources necessary for civilian survival, including food, water, electricity, fuel, and telecommunications.
The resolution also expresses grave concern over statements by Israeli officials amounting to incitement to genocide and demands that Israel fulfill its legal obligation to prevent genocide.
The resolution sets forth a series of demands for Israel, including ensuring unimpeded humanitarian assistance, immediately restoring the supply of essential goods to Palestinian civilians in Gaza, and allowing displaced Palestinians to return to all areas of the Gaza Strip.
READ MORE: Israeli PM Netanyahu's aides remanded over 'Qatar-Gate' investigation
Additionally, the resolution calls on the UN General Assembly to establish "an ongoing international, impartial and independent mechanism" to investigate and prosecute individuals responsible for "the most serious crimes under international law" committed during the conflict.
Israel announced in February that it would not participate in the UN Human Rights Council and was therefore not present at the meeting where the resolution was adopted.